May 2016 – Present
Haben provides accessibility training, diversity consulting, and public speaking services. Drawing on her training in law, sociology, and technology, Haben advocates designing digital services and developing policies that will ensure a future that offers opportunities to everyone.
Disability Rights Advocates, Berkeley, CA
Attorney, Sept 2013 – April 2016
- Representing persons with mobility disabilities in a class action to compel the City of Long Beach to remove physical barriers along the City’s sidewalks.
- Representing the National Federation of the Blind in an action seeking to render Scribd’s reading subscription service accessible.
Wilmerhale Legal Services Center, Jamaica Plain, MA
Student Attorney, Fall 2012
Advising individuals with disabilities who needed assistance obtaining social security benefits.
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Boston, MA
Legal Intern, Summer 2012
Berkman Center For Internet And Society, Cambridge, MA
Student Attorney, Fall 2011
- Researched and wrote a paper on the laws and regulations governing online privacy policies.
- Working with a disability organization to request an exemption to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
U.S. Department Of Education, Office For Civil Rights, Boston, MA
Legal Intern, Summer 2011
- Analyzed a dozen complaints of discrimination under Section 504 and Title VI.
- Investigated alleged violations by interviewing three parents and eight school staff members.
- Drafted six letters of compliance to schools and complainants.
- Wrote various legal memoranda on issues including discipline for special education students and the accessibility of innovative technology in schools.
Deafblind Young Adults in Action, Washington, DC
Mentor/Co-Teacher, Summer 2011
Participant, Summer 2010
- Organized and led sixteen meetings with members of Congress to push for passage of the 21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act and amendments to IDEA.
- Prepared participants for meetings by explaining IDEA and related policy concerns.
- Advocated for a technical assistance document establishing legal recognition of Support Service Providers during a meeting with the U.S. Dept. of Justice.
Youth Exchange And Study Preparatory Workshop, Mobility International, Eugene, OR
Mentor, Winter 2010
Created and presented two workshops, “U.S. Disability 101” and “The U.S. Disability Rights Movement,” for high school foreign exchange students with disabilities.